Today I want to share with you my latest and most favorite DIY project! "Dipped" furniture is all the rage right now! It's so fun and gives even the most blah piece of furniture a fun pop of color (my husband swears this is my favorite phrase). I've seen so many neat things to "dip" in Pinterest-land and decided to tackle it myself. I'm going to show you how to do this project for yourself for under $10, during naptime. Naptime is the best.
So I turned on my favorite jams and with my little assistant at hand, we got started. Here is what my console table looked like BEFORE:
Since the new drawer pulls were larger, I couldn't use the same drill holes from the original pulls. All I had to do was use a piece of blue painter's tape (masking tape works, too, but I love the smoothness of painter's tape). I centered it vertically - mostly by eyeing it - but then I also checked with my measuring tape to make sure it was exactly in the middle. Some things I'm not so precise about, but this is definitely not one area to mess around with.
All that was left was to drill some pilot holes and screw the handles into the drawers. Lucky me, my husband owns an adorable mini-sized drill that is PERFECT for my little household projects. It's super lightweight, and I want to steal it and paint it Tiffany blue. I digress...
NOW for the fun part - painting!! I'm a bit obsessed with melon/coral color (always have been, the fads just follow me). I was in search of the perfect color at Lowe's but unfortunately couldn't find it. I found two colors that were close - one was too pink and one too orange - but I needed something in between. So I bought little sample sized jars of each (less than $3) and just mixed them. What I wound up with was indeed the "perfect coral" I had been looking for all along. Anytime you need a unique paint color for a small project definitely go for the sample sizes.
Ok, so the colors on the screen don't do the real thing justice, so just use your imagination.This part is super easy, guys. I measured up from the bottoms of the legs the space I wanted (I chose 7 inches) to be painted. I wrapped the legs with painter's tape, and gave them a light sanding. If you're trying this, don't kill yourself attempting to get down to bare wood. All you have do to is scuff up the surface to give the paint something to grab onto. I just sanded carefully right up to the tape, then wiped down the dust with a damp cloth.
It was infinitely more sunny yesterday so that made getting a good "after" photo a little more challenging!I completed this entire project for about $12 and in about an hour or two. I could have kept it under $10 if I hadn't purchased two different paint colors, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. All I may do after this is paint a thin layer of poly over the paint to keep it from getting nicked too bad, since it's near the floor where little feet and toys with wheels roam freely.